Lawrence poison suspects sought
By Nancy Glasscock
email@example.com · 340-2443
DANVILLE — Authorities were searching Friday for someone who left five containers carrying a pesticide mixed with fish along Lawrence County 84.
Two people became ill and a dog died after being exposed to the mix.
"We've got a couple of leads we're following up on, but nothing solid," sheriff's Lt. Tim McWhorter said.
Investigators believe someone left containers carrying a pesticide mixed with sardines or tuna outside homes along the rural road to kill animals, McWhorter said. He said investigators haven't determined exactly what pesticide was left outside the homes, but it could be Temik, commonly used on cotton.
Vicky Parker and her 17-year-old stepson Tommy Parker were treated at Lawrence County Hospital and released Wednesday night after they were exposed to bags of the poisonous mix.
The Parkers' dog, a Chinese pug puppy, died seconds after the animal licked one of the bags, Vicky Parker said.
Parker said Friday she has received numerous phone calls from people who want to donate money to bury the puppy, but the animal can't be buried because of the poison in its body.
She said people who want to help should instead send donations to a local animal shelter.
McWhorter said whoever left the pesticide could face charges of animal cruelty and reckless endangerment.
Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!